Kim Morgan, Master Certified Coach and Managing Director of Barefoot Coaching, outlines 10 good reasons why everyone should be coached in 2017.
- A coach will have no preconceptions about you. There is no agenda or history to cloud the coach’s view of you. Unlike anyone else in your life they see you as you show up in front of them…not as your job title, as a parent, a child or someone they have known for years. They see you as you are and as who you potentially could be. Coaches hold up a mirror to you so that you can see the best of yourself too.
- Coaches really know how to listen. When was the last time you were really listened to, without interruption, so that you could hear yourself thinking? It’s not the same talking to the wall or the fridge. Neuroscience has found that receiving attention from another human being floods the brain with feel-good chemicals, increasing the quality of your thinking and reducing stress.
- Coaching is not a one-size-fits-all approach. Coaches don’t impose their solutions. They appreciate the uniqueness of each individual and realise that every person will have a different mix of beliefs, conditioning, values, wants, needs, strengths etc. A coach will help you understand yourself – what motivates you and what holds you back, what excites you and what gives you a sense of purpose.
- A coach will ask you great questions, which will help you to find the solutions or goals which are right for you and your particular blend of attributes and traits. You will find solutions which are right for your specific situation. Coaching is like having a perfectly cut, tailor-made suit which will only fit you!
- It’s exciting, stimulating and fun. A good coach will be comfortable using humour and being playful as well as offering you support, praise and challenge. You should expect to leave every coaching session feeling more resourceful than you did when you arrived.
- A coach will hold you to account, check on your progress, care about you, support you, champion you and challenge you. Self-help books are great but they don’t follow up!
- A coach will work on anything you want – however small or random. Not everyone who sees a coach wants to become the next CEO of their company. Some people want to find the motivation to tidy their spare room, get on better with their mother-in-law, stick to their health and fitness goals, explore what really matters to them in life, find the courage to make a change. You set the agenda in coaching and the coach commits to doing all they can to support you.
- Coaching is all about you! You pay for the coach’s time, expertise and their ability to partner you in your thinking. You don’t have to turn-take in conversation with a coach - you can just indulge in pure “me time.”
- Perhaps for the first time in your life you can experience a relationship in which you can be entirely yourself. You can let go of trying to be perfect, people pleasing, discounting your achievements – or whatever other habits you have acquired throughout your life. A coach will create an adult to adult relationship in which you will learn that ‘being perfect’ doesn’t exist. Instead you will learn to accept and even celebrate your minor flaws! You will learn self-awareness and self-management skills which will last you a lifetime.
- Coaching works. Behind every successful sportsperson is a coach. Behind many a successful business person there is a coach. High achievers know they can’t do it all on their own. Asking for help and support is not a sign of weakness, it is a sign of strength. Coaching can make the difference that you can’t quite make on your own.
Barefoot Coaching has hundreds of coaches around the UK all trained to Postgraduate level with different specialisations: from career coaching to family coaching and everything in between. Contact us to see how we can help you achieve your goals in 2017.