The creation of a coaching culture has become a goal for many organisations. If you are just starting out on this journey here are some questions to ask before you begin, followed by some of Barefoot's top tips to move you closer to achieving your goal.
Questions to ask
- What is the ultimate purpose of creating a coaching culture?
- What will it look like, feel like, and sound like in this organisation when a coaching culture is embedded?
- What will be the benefits of this change?
- Are there any good reasons for not embarking on this change?
- What could get in the way of achieving this change?
- What do we already have in place which will support this change?
- How much support and sponsorship do we have from senior leadership?
- Know the reason why you are doing this.
- Engage senior leaders as sponsors of the culture change.
- Develop an internal coaching capability - 'Manager as Coach' training programmes, designated internal coaches, coaching supervisors, coaching for delegates on talent programmes. We also advocate short workshops for employees who will be receiving coaching.
- Ensure that all Manager as Coach training is relevant, practical and immediately applicable to the workplace. Training programmes for managers should not be too theoretical or lengthy. The smallest changes can make the biggest difference.
- Ensure coaching is linked to business drivers, overall business strategy and to HR policies and performance measures.
- Ensure the business and its leaders notice, encourage and reward coaching behaviours.
- Encourage employees to use coaching behaviours with third parties such as customers and suppliers as well as internally.
- Understand that coaching is not a cure-all. Communicate clearly the boundaries of coaching - when coaching is appropriate and when other interventions would be more relevant or useful.
- Decide how external coaches will be utilised within your organisation and develop clear communications about this.
- Commit to feedback as an integral part of your organisational behaviour.
Find out more about Barefoot's Coaching at Work course - designed to help Managers start their coaching journey.
Every delegate on our Coaching at Work course receives a free copy of our Coaching Cards for Managers: 52 questions to improve your managerial style and support your learning.